Juliette M Casey
Juliette specialises in the areas of Equality and Discrimination, Human Rights and EU Law, Criminal Law and Credit Hire. She also a particular interest in criminal law and she has a PhD in the area from the University of Edinburgh. She has received instructions for cases in the Sheriff Courts and Employment Tribunals, in the Court of Session and the Inner House of the Court of Session. She regularly lectures and writes on topics connected with her areas of practice.
Juliette was appointed to the Equality and Human Rights Panel of Preferred Counsel in 2010 and she is a member of the Scottish Human Rights Law Group. She also is a member of the Faculty of Advocates Employment Law Group. She was a Legal Assistant with the Scottish Law Commission. She is a Member of the International Society for the Reform of Criminal Law and the Honorable Society of King's Inns, Dublin, 2006-2011.
She has been involved in several high profile cases including:
- Cunningham v AIRC - Case No. 4112394/2012. Whistleblowing.
- Mr D Petrie v Babcock Marine (Clyde) Ltd - Case No. 4105096/2012. Unfair dismissal.
- Carol Webster v NPL Management Limited - Case No. 2336178/2012. Material factor defence, discrimination on grounds of pregnancy and maternity.
- Kay v University of Aberdeen - Case No. 102991/2011. Disability discrimination under the Equality Act.
- Foley & Ors v Greater Glasgow Health Board S/114750/2006, S/112748/2007, S/113711/2007, S/116672/2007 - case on whether a Tupe-like transfer is subject to the 6 month time limit imposed by section 2Z A (3) of the Equal Pay Act.
- Lee Liddle v Brit Insurance Limited  CSOH 145. Case on Credit Hire.
- The City of Edinburgh Council v Wilkinson - Intervention on behalf of the ECHR in the Inner House, June 2011. (Avizandum) Case concerned the interpretation of s1(6) of the Equal Pay Act 1970.
- Alexander Greenlees v Allianz Insurance plc  CSOH 173. (Avizandum) Case on Credit Hire.
- Mrs E North & Ors v Dumfries & Galloway Council  IRLR 239 Ct Sess (IH). First intervention on behalf of the EHRC in the Inner House, October 2010. Case concerned the interpretation of s1(6) of the Equal Pay Act.
- Grace Fowler, Josephine Adams & Ors v Glasgow City Council - Case No. 103930/2006 Case was the first of its kind in Scotland on the Genuine Material Factor Defence in Equal Pay.
- HMA v Lilburn, High Court of Justiciary, 2008 case where s288F of the Criminal Procedure (Scotland) Act 1995 was used for the first time.
- Dunn & Ors v Fife Council - Case No. 104702/2006 General Material Factor Defence in Equal Pay.
- Mrs P Lynch & Ors v East Dunbartonshire Council - Case No. 115961/2008 & Others. Preliminary Hearing on the plea of lis alibi pendens in an Equal Pay Case.
- Equal Pay Claims v North Lanarkshire Council - Case No. S/107493/05 & Others. Equal Pay.
- James McLaren v Tidewater Marine - Case No. S/11621/06 case on jurisdiction in employment law.
- Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mobile: 07966 377408
Year of Call: 2006
Areas of Practice:
- Criminal Law
- Employment Law
- Human Rights Law
- Personal Injury Law